Well-- I have finally done it!! I signed up for boot camp! We meet every morning at 5:45 to whip our bodies back into shape.I have wanted to do this for a long time, and something inside finally made me seal the deal last week. They were having a "two for one" sign up special-- so, yes, I now have the privilege of boot camp, not just for one month, but two! Yippee! :)
Monday was our first day to report. I hadn't slept very well the night before, although I did get in bed by 9:30. Luke had gotten a two inch splinter in his toe somewhere around 8. Splinters are NOT my thing, so I made Scott use the tweezers! But, it was my job to hold him down and suffer through his agonizing cries and screams for 30 minutes while Scott tried to extract it. In the end, I think I cried just as much as Luke! It broke my heart to see him so upset-- knowing I couldn't help.
So, I was emotionally drained when I hit the pillow-- and worried, because we didn't get all of the splinter out! But, I knew 5 a.m. would come quickly. I was somewhat anxious, too, because I didn't really know what to expect, even though I knew both of the instructors pretty well-- they were my kick-boxing teachers.
The alarm went off-- I put on my shoes (I slept in my work out clothes to save time!) It was nice getting up and having a quiet house to myself. I ate half of a power bar, watched a little early morning news, then headed out.
I was shocked to arrive and see such a huge class-- I thought there might be a dozen or so brave souls who were willing to join our ranks-- nope, well over 30! I took a spot on the floor and began to size up the "competition". I didn't have to be the best in class, but I didn't want to be the worst! I knew I was in above average physical condition-- I work out every day and run at least 15 miles a week... but, I guess I still worried that there would be some task I couldn't do.
Drill sarge Lori announced it was testing day! It's funny how those old feelings of having to prove yourself emerge in situations like this... I haven't felt those feelings since I was in high school and college-- that "I have to do well and win" tingle in your stomach. It was nice having those old stirrings again.
We headed outside to the tennis courts to warm up with walking, jogging, running, stretching, etc. Then it was time for the VO2 test. We did the Multistage Fitness Test (Beep Test). I made it to level 8 shuttle 2. I am proud to say, after a little internet research-- my score was VO2 Max 40.23 mls/kg/min (± 0.3 mls/kg/min)-- which puts me in the "superior" category! YES! :)
Next we had a series of drills-- 2 minute push up drill= 18 standing (toes) and 26 knees; 2 minute sit up drill = 45; 1/2- mile sprint= 3:48 minutes.
I was pretty pleased and thought I did relatively well. I am still no expert at pacing myself, and I think my body was still in shock doing all this exercise before 7 a.m.!
Last night we had a ZOE rehearsal to run through potential songs for the next CD. ZOE veteran JV and my next door neighbor is back for this CD and I am SO thrilled. He is one of the most knowledgeable musicians I know! What a blessing to the group-- plus, he's just a great guy! Well, I was thrilled to learn that he was doing the boot camp, too-- so then I had a partner in misery! He did the camp last summer, so he's a veteran and can show me the ropes.
So, today was our first official boot camp day! It was a blast! We played "tag" did a million walking lunges, a sprint/jog relay, a pyramid drill, abs-- an awesome workout! I think I am addicted! It was fun hanging with JV, too.
I have no grand illusions of regaining my 20 year-old physique-- that ship has sailed! But, I just want to see how far I can push myself. It's nice to know that I am probably in better physical condition now than I was at 20-- even if the scale doesn't reflect that! :) I am thankful that I am blessed to have the time to pursue this goal-- Scott stays home with the kids until I return by 7:15 and he can leave for the Y himself. I think he's proud of my discipline and determination. He's always been an athlete and in incredible shape-- still is. He does triathlons. Amazing.
Anyway-- I am proud of me, too. I pray I can stick with it and not be too tired-- or sore-- to make it through the rest of my day with Luke and Caroline! I also can't wait to see where I'll be physically in 8 weeks!
The ZOE CD project is going to be so fun this year! Brandon is back and the whole veteran ZOE gang is singing! Such fun! We are always humbled at the task ahead, but what fun to listen to awesome praise and worship songs and sing with family-- knowing that God will somehow use your gifts to bless others. What a marvelous, mysterious plan He has for each of us!

3 comments:
Good for you!! I guess you'll be pretty buff by the next Zoe conference. :)
I always look forward to your new music and can't wait to see what you all come up with.
Boot camp sounds great! My baby #4 is 3 weeks old now and I am really wanting to get into something once I am cleared by the doctor. I miss our Y membership. It is so hard to find things to do at home. Hope it works for you!
Best wishes on boot camp!
And see if you can persuade some of your ZOE buddies to send my bios for the Web site, will you please?
Thanks,
-Keith
Post a Comment