Thursday, August 05, 2004

Parenting Parallels

Today we went to the Doctor for Luke's six month check up. He weighed 18 lbs., 15 1/2 ounces-- so close to 19 pounds! He measured 28 1/2 inches long. So, he has consistently remained in the 75% percentile for weight and 95% for height since he was born. He is healthy and happy on all accounts-- praise the Lord!

He also had to have 4 more shots. It is so heart-breaking to willingly inflict pain upon your child, even though you know it's for his own good. His little eyes, full of tears,look into yours and seem to be asking "Why?" Luke is such a happy baby anyway; that makes it especially hard to watch him when he tenses up and lets out a cry-- he rarely cries, so it is not something I am used to hearing from him. I know he won't remember the shots, and the tears didn't last that long!

I'm sure that God feels the same way about us.... He doesn't like to see the pain we have to endure sometimes, but He knows that in the long run it is good for us and makes us stronger and more spiritually healthy. How many times have I asked Him, "Why?!" Yet, all the while, He has a plan for me.

Being a parent is such an incredible glimpse of what God must feel for us. I feel like I am just beginning to see the many parallels in big and small ways each day.

What a true blessing Luke is to Scott and me and to our entire families! Thank you, Father!

No comments: