It was a beautiful event-- Karin and Blake spoke, the other children read Bible verses. What an absolutely perfect way to celebrate the ultimate "birthday." All of ZOE was there to be witness to the important event. When we started, Jackson was such a baby! Now he has grown into such a terrific man of God, who has just begun his journey.
When I was baptized back in December 1983, it was quite a different situation. Our youth group had taken a long road trip from Mayfield, KY, to Jonesboro, Arkansas for a youth weekend-- I think it was called Uplift or something like that.... pretty new and progressive for the day--when churches were just starting to hire "youth ministers." Anyway, Jeff Walling was speaking-- (I still kid him about it to this day-- how funny that we ended up working together in ZOE these many years later)-- and this was back when he used to sing 100 verses of "Just As I Am" with short, moving dialougues between each stanza. Well, needless to say-- my best friend, Stacie, and I just couldn't resist after the 52nd verse. We both hit the aisle with at least 200 other deeply convicted pre-teens. It was a mass baptism that night-- one after another! I have a photo of it somewhere, but I sometimes regret that my parents only had a photo as evidence. They never once acted like they were disappointed that they weren't a part of it-- things were just different then, I suppose. I think I would be crushed if I missed Luke or Caroline's one day.
So, I tend to like the more planned, thought out baptisms of today. I think it is a blessing to everyone involved.
Thanks, Jackson, for letting us share such a special time with you and your family! God bless you and guide you always!

No comments:
Post a Comment