I kept having this random dream about being in New York with a group of friends. We were touring through the city and were at the top of one of the skyscrapers when we reached an elevator door. We wanted to get down to street level, but the elevator was broken. We were all standing directly in front of the door contemplating what a long way down it was in that elevator shaft!
This caused me to think about the many times I had actually been to New York-- in my real life!!! Obviously all of us were shaken to the core on 9/11 when we saw the planes fly into the World Trade Center. I remember walking over to our refrigerator and grabbing a magnet off the door that Scott and I had purchased at the top of the WTC just a few years earlier to add to our souvenir collection. It was a red apple-- "I love NY." We also have several photos of us taken from the top of the tower-- how odd that it no longer exists.
Going to the top of the Empire State Building is also an adventure! Its hauntingly beautiful architecture and history is so powerful. The site where it stands belonged to John Jacob Astor. He died tragically on the Titanic, and his son Vincent sold the property soon after his death. The Empire State Building, ironically, was also struck by an army plane in 1945, leaving 14 people dead. (Yes, all of this was swirling around in my head at 4 a.m.! Sad, but true!)
So-- I started to think about how crazy it is that we willingly get into a tiny metal box with at least 20-30 other people stuffed into it with us, so that we can travel to the top of a building to see the view. And-- if this box was made out of glass-- with a clear view of everything-- yes, even the floor-- Would we be so willing? I think I thought of this because in my dream we were dangerously close to the broken elevator door, yet we didn't think twice about the possibility of falling down the chute. If the door hadn't been there, and it was just a gaping hole, dropping 102 floors to the street below, would I have been standing, laughing right on the edge? No way?! It makes my stomach flip to think about it!!!
This is where my philosophizing took over--- bear with me!!! It might not make as much sense now as it did at 4 a.m. Why do we have so much faith and trust in things that keep us from seeing reality-- like small, metal elevator boxes? -or metal airplanes flying at 30,000 feet (Would you fly in the same plane if it were made of see-through material, allowing you to see all the way to the ground-- or would you feel just as calm and relaxed, ignoring the stewardess's safety instructions!?) We assume that we will be safe and protected-- Why?
There must be some spiritual principle to be found in all of that.... Perhaps we enjoy being blinded from things that make us afraid. We don't want to see the reality of the world we live in? Or, maybe we simply choose to trust in the inventions of man-- (objects which physically exist in our tactile world-- that we can see and touch)-- over the genuine realities of God.... The Tower of Babel might be a decent analogy-- Whereas the ark built by Noah was entirely and act of faith and trust in the Lord, roughly 100 years later, the Tower of Babel served as a prideful construct of man; a "stairway to heaven", glorifying his own accomplishment and strength.
Man does not really want to eliminate God. It is only sporadically and then only for a relatively brief time that men cry out for the elimination of God. Atheism is too barren, too pessimistic and too morally bankrupt to live with very long. The communists are finding this out. No, we need "dear old God," but let's keep him under control. Do not let him get out of his place. "Don't call us, God; we'll call you." This is the fundamental philosophy of society. It is the tower of Babel all over again.
from The Beginnings, by Ray C. Stedman, Waco Books, 1978
Remember-- I warned you that it was a little of the wall!! Maybe it will make some of you think and come up with a better interpretation than I was able to invent!! :)
Happy thinking!
Remember-- I warned you that it was a little of the wall!! Maybe it will make some of you think and come up with a better interpretation than I was able to invent!! :)
Happy thinking!

4 comments:
Regarding yesterday's post... We invited families over a couple times a month for dessert. We usually tried to get people who would otherwise not meet each other. It was quite different and fun each time. It's not as easy to do in our new place, I miss it.
Amy, you were about two days ahead of me on this train of thought - about the seen and the unseen! I'm going to link your post to mine: Resurrection and Reality. Thanks for another point of view that adds a dimension to it!
Great idea announcing the opening of your home to friends and family. Have you personally invited anyone over? Computers are a great tool, but not everyone has one.
AMY WESTERMAN!
Hey, amazing blog! All of that at 4 a.m., huh? Crazy crazy! I really enjoyed lunch; thanks for the emails and the comment on my blog. I'll make sure to keep up with this one. Looks like I might have a lot to read up on. Hope to see you Spring Break!
Post a Comment