Tuesday, February 13, 2007

You've Got to Have Faith

So-- I haven't been making the time to sit down and type out my life lately. I have honestly been too consumed with the laundry list of things I have to do (like all of us are)-- I just couldn't seem to make blogging a priority.

One thing that has been a blessing to me is the Beth Moore study I'm in... Living Beyond Yourself. This week's lesson was on "faithfulness" as our journey through the fruit of the Holy Spirit continues. She had some powerful things to share on the concept.

Some things I'll take with me about FAITH (there is too much to list here!):
  • Do we have faith in what God does for us or rather in who He is? Do I only trust when He is following my plans, or I am willing to have faith in Him solely because of who He is. Do I acknowledge that His ways are higher than mine, and that I might never know the reasons behind the things He chooses for my life?
  • Two obstacles to faith-- fear and familiarity. I am too afraid to be vulnerable to Him-- to fully trust. Or, am I just too casually familiar with Him? So much that I have stopped expecting great things from Him or trying to keep my relationship with Him constantly growing....
  • In Ephesians 6, in the armor of God imagery, faith is presented as our shield to fight off Satan's flaming arrows. When we start to doubt, fear, or question, we let down our shield and allow Satan's arrows to strike us.
  • When Paul was shipwrecked off Malta, it was all part of God's plan to rescue them. Sometimes in life running aground is the only way we can find answers. The process isn't pleasant, but it allows God to work in our lives in ways He couldn't otherwise.
I still am in awe at the insights Beth has! What a blessing! :)

Luke had a great 3rd birthday, and it's SO hard to believe that Caroline will be ONE in just over 2 weeks! My babies are quickly becoming KIDS!

3 comments:

mark said...

Amy,

This is a very powerful post! I appreciate your relflections here - I know Beth Moore puts out some wonderful studies.

If you are interested I have a Christian blog topsite. You can check it out here:
http://christianblog.colossians2.com/index.php?a=page&id=FAQS

Mark

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Ams...check my blog today for a wonderful pic of the Westerpeople.

Amy S. Grant said...

I always get so much out of what Beth has to say when I get to hear her.

And your first point about loving God just for who He is rather than what He does for me has been something I'm pondering lately too.